Greenfield Office 414.282.3100 Wauwatosa Office 414.259.1950
An "Orthosis" is an externally applied device used to modify the structural and functional characteristics of the neuromuscular and skeletal system.
An Orthosis may be used to:
- Control, guide, limit and/or immobilize an extremity, joint or body segment for a particular reason (i.e., often after a stroke)
- Restrict movement in a given direction
- Assist movement generally
- Reduce weight bearing forces for a particular purpose
- Aid rehabilitation from fractures after the removal of a cast.
- Correct the shape and or function of the body, to provide easier movement capability or reduce pain.
The Most Common types of Orthosis are:
- AFO - Ankle Foot Orthosis
- commonly prescribed for "drop foot"
- your physician may prescribe an "off the shelf" version, or we make custom molded AFOs in our lab.
- Knee Braces
- There are many types of knee braces. Your physician will prescribe an off the shelf version or we will cast you for a custom made knee brace. We often use Townsend Designs for our custom knee braces.
- KAFO - Knee Ankle Foot Orthosis - this type of orthosis is always custom-made and fit to your body.
"Do I need a Prescription?"
"What is an AFO?"
An AFO stands for Ankle Foot Orthosis. An AFO is a common brace that supports the ankle. We offer custom and "off the shelf" versions.